Also: Civil engineering works
Work on this church of St. John the Evangelist, near the southern tip of Colaba, was begun in 1847. Commemorating the Afghan Wars, it is now embroiled in a controversy over the appropriate method of conservation.
Standing at one end of the Kala Ghoda area, this hall was designed by George Wittet. Having long fallen into disuse, it was remodelled inside during the mid-90's and now houses the Museum of Modern Art.
This elegant covered market named after the city's first municipal commissioner was completed in 1869. It marks the northern end of the old British town.
This library, named after the philanthropist who funded its construction, was completed in 1870. It is one of the yellow stone buildings which gives Rampart Row on Kala Ghoda its architectural distinction.
Located in the Mumbai harbour, an hour by boat from the Gateway, these caves dedicated to Siva are an UNESCO World Heritage site.
One more of the yellow stone buildings of Rampart Row, facing the Kala Ghoda area, this houses Mumbai's oldest, and once the most prestigious, college.
Standing next to the Churchgate station, this beautiful Art Deco building marks the beginning of the Backbay reclamation of the early part of the century.
Bombay's icon, this fussy stone fountain marks the centre of the business district, and is placed close to the church gate of the old (and now vanished) British fort.
An icon of twentieth century Indian history, this gateway in yellow stone, originally built to commemorate the visit of King George V, is now remembered as the point from which the last British troops left India.
The first example of the Indo-Saracenic style of architecture, this building stands close to the norther end of the old British town.
A beautiful example of Indian Islamic architecture, this tomb stands away from the land, and can only be reached at low tide.
A staid Victorian building at first sight, a closer look reveals the handiwork of nameless stone masons who decorated the galleries with jungles full of animals.
George Wittet's vision harmonises this early twentieth century building with the Gothic structures of the University next to it.
This mid-twentieth century art gallery in the Kala Ghoda area stands behind the museum and faces the early century Rampart Row. With its four exhibition halls, it is one of the prime art galleries in the city.
These early buddhist caves are now saved from being engulfed by the city because of the surrounding Borivili National Park.
The Mumbai harbour contains three light houses from three different centuries.
The Mahalakshmi temple was built during the construction of the Hornby Vellard and stands at one end of the sea wall.
This Art Deco cinema was opened in 1938 and at first only exhibited movies made by MGM. The cinema stands on ground leased for 999 years at a rent of Re 1 per year.
The present structure of the temple at Bhuleswar was built after a previous structure was destroyed in 1737. The city is named after this Koli goddess.
This Gothic building with a 255 feet tall tower was completed in 1893 and was designed by the well-known Bombay architect F.W.Stevens.
One of the buildings that defines the Indo-Saracenic style, the Museum was opened in 1923, 18 years after the laying of the foundation stone. Designed by George Wittet, the building stands at the Regal circle.
Lending its name to the Regal Circle, this was Bombay's only Art Deco cinema when it opened in 1933. It was designed by Charles Stevens and the interior was designed by Karl Schara.
This pleasantly neo-classical building from 1833 has appeared in so many Hindi movies as the exterior of a court, that visitors to the city are often unfazed to learn that it is actually a library.
A marvellous example of the Gothic revival style, the university buildings behind Rampart Row, with its 260 feet high clock tower was funded by some of the leading merchants of the late 19th century.
The marvellous Gothic revival building, completed in 1888 was designed by F.W.Stevens. It is worth spending time on the numerous sculptures, executed by local artists, which adorn the facade.
The main remnant of the Portuguese occupation of the islands, the ruins of this fort on the mainland north of Mumbai are an impressive reminder of the strategy by which the Portuguese dominated trade in the Indian ocean for several centuries.
The earliest temples in this site on the Malabar hills date from the 13th century. However, the oldest extant structure is the Banganga Tank dating from 1715.