Opened in February 1938, the Eros Cinema, on the then newly reclaimed Backbay plot was designed by Sohrabji Bhedwar. The construction of this building, housing shops and other businesses, apart from the cinema, took about two and a half years to complete.
The two wings of the this Art Deco building meet up in a central block faced with red Agra sandstone. The rest of the building is painted a pale cream. The foyer is in white and black marble with touches of gold. Marble staircases with chromium handrails lead up to the upper floor. The murals are in muted colours and depict Indian architectures.