Designed by Charles Stevens, the son of the the famous 19th century architect, F. W. Stevens, the Regal Cinema was opened in 1933. It was the first of Bombay's Art Deco cinemas.
Executed completely in reinforced cement concrete (RCC), Regal Cinema was fully air conditioned, and had an underground parking lot for patrons. There was a lift up from the parking lot, a major innovation at that time.
The interiors were designed by a Czech artist, Karl Schara, and featured a lot of mirror work in the lobbies. The main auditorium had a motif of sun rays in pale orange and jade green.