The Gothic Revival was the architectural style of a newly prosperous Bombay during the years of the cotton boom. Most of the public buildings dating from the 1860's to the closing years of the 19th century were built in this style.
Several districts of south Bombay have buildings solely in this style. The most famous instances of the Gothic Revival are the Victoria Terminus and the Municipal Corporation building just opposite it. Both were designed by F. W. Stevens. Northwards, along the adjoining roads, lie many more structures in the same style.
Another Gothic precinct is the block south of the Flora Fountain. The main attractions here are the high court, the Rajabai tower and the University buildings. The last is the only building in Bombay designed by Sir Gilbert Scott, one of the chief British exponents of this style of architecture.