See also a website for Ulhasnagar.
After the partition of India, over 100,000 Sindhi refugees from the newly created West Pakistan were relocated in the military camps five kilometres from Kalyan. It was converted into a township in 1949, and named Ulhasnagar by the then Governor-General of India, C. Rajagopalachari.
A suburban railway station was built in 1955. Five years later, the first municipal council was nominated. In 1965, elections to this council were held for the first time. Now this 22 square kilometer area holds 350,000 Sindhis, the largest enclave of this ethnic group in India. The town lies outside Mumbai city but in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region. It is a major business district, with a claimed turnover of Rs. 1,000 crores (10 billion) in 1995.