The island of Worli was connected to the main island of Bombay in 1784, with the completion of the Hornby Vellard. Prior to this, Worli is known to have contained a mosque, the Haji Ali dargah, on a rock in the sea, connected at low-tide to the island by a natural causeway. There were also a (Portuguese?) fort and a fishing village to the north, close to the island of Mahim. In 1842, the Love Grove sewage pumping station was completed. It had special sluice gates opening to the sea.
References and sources.|
© Copyright and disclaimer.