Named after Bombay's first municipal commissioner, Arthur Crawford, the Crawford Market is at the northern end of the old British part of the town, and faces the crowded inner city. An elegant covered market, it dominates the skyline with its clock tower and steeple. The cavernous spaces inside are divided into sections for fruits, vegetables and meat.
The building, completed in 1869, was donated to the city by Cowasji Jehangir. The friezes on the outside walls and the stone fountains inside were designed by Lockwood Kipling.
It was the main wholesale market for fruits in Bombay until March 1996, when the wholesale traders were relocated to New Bombay.