Bellasis Road

Built entirely at private expense by General George Bellasis in 1793 as a famine-relief effort, this causeway was instrumental in shaping the city. The Hornby Vellard, completed in 1784, had already plugged the Great Breach in Mahalaxmi. The Bellasis Road, extending from Malabar Hill to Mazagaon, opened up the Flats to its south leading to the development of Bycullah, Kamathipura and Tardeo.

© Copyright and disclaimer