See also the overview of the Inner City.
C18 Kamathipura is named after the Kamathis, workers from Andhra who came to the city from 1795, and settled in the flat areas which were rendered livable by the construction of the Hornby Vellard and the Bellasis Road. It is bounded by the latter on the north, and by Grant Road on the south and the main road across it is called the Falkland Road.
C19 The area developed into the city's main red-light district by the end of the nineteenth century. A visiting missionary's description still holds true today.
"... the ground floor open to the road, like native shops. In these lower as well as in the upper rooms were native women calling to the male passers-by of various nationalities."